Monday, August 3, 2015

Henri Hedgehog

Henri Hedgehog is done just in time.  My colleague leaves next week for maternity leave.
I am so happy I used Susie's magic binding tutorial.  I bought the stich in the ditch attachment for my walking foot based on Joanne's recommendation.  I also used invisible thread.


Used some leftovers from the front
Everything for this quilt was from my stash.  Yeah!

Friday, May 15, 2015

With a little help from my friends

The modern quilt guild I belong to GLMQG has a block swap.  We do an on line block activity in the months between formal meetings.  The block tutorial is posted on our website.  I won the blocks in May of 2014. 
These are the blocks I won. 
This is the block I made
Here is the link to the tutorial
Here is the finished quilt.  Just under a year.  I decided to make some curves and I think the black really sets off the blocks.  I cut some of the blocks to make the border.  
I did a little block surgery

 I stiched in the ditch around each of the slices but I wasn't sure what to do after that.  The GLMQG members helped me with suggestions for the quilting.
The quilting
This was the first time a tried the Hobbs Tuscany batting.  I love the look and feel. 
I never could have made a quilt like this without the block swap.  I never would have made blocks in some of these colors but I absolutely love the finished quilt.  I even have a few more pieces leftover after cutting the curves.  I plan to use those on another project.

Here I am showing it at our meeting
GLMQG April 2015
So a great big thank you to my friends in the GLMQG.  What a fun and inspiring group.

Quilt stats:
blocks made by members of the GLMQG
assembled and quilted by me.
I am entering this in the Bloggers Quilt Festival in the modern quilt category

Monday, February 2, 2015

Lena's Quilt

I know I have not posted in a while.  Sewing has been happening just not taking pics or posting.
I did manage to finish the quilt for our exchange student.  It is a medallion quilt based on what I learned in my Gwen Marston class.  It all started with an alphabet panel of Carolyn Galvin's petite fleur organic line.
Here is the alphabet panel

 Here is the quilt

I worked on my free motion quilting although it does not show up really well in this picture.

 And the back with my husbands initials, my initials, and our dog.
We got about a foot of snow yesterday and now it is very cold.  Stay warm and safe.

Friday, August 29, 2014

Yipee!!! I won

I won this Jacquie Gering quilt "radiate" as a prize for giving in the Action Kivu fundraiser.  You can see the info here.  I am so lucky.  I can't wait to see it in person.

Supernova by Jacquie Gering
"Radiate" by Jacquie Gering.

Saturday, August 9, 2014

August and September Supernova Blocks

Here are my August Supernova blocks.
Two identical blocks.  I used the red and the dot that Lin sent
Here are the ones for September.  I did not have enough of the dot for both of the blocks so I substituted some stripes for the one for me.
Lin will get the one on the right

Here are all 4 blocks.
August and September blocks

Here are all my blocks so far.  I will have only one more set to make for October if we decide to stop at 5
What I have so far.  I can't wait for all the rest.

Thursday, July 3, 2014

Supernova July block

Supernova quilt along.  I joined up in May and got a great partner Lin.  She blogs over here.

Here are my July blocks one for me and one for Lin.
Two of the same
One for each of us
 In the picture below.  The block on the left is my first block.  It is not exactly correct pattern.   I fixed the issue in the one made for Lin .  The center block is the one Lin sent to me for June.  The picture shows how they are playing well together.  We decided that I would use warm colors and she would use the cool colors.  Obviously cause she is so cool.  We are using Kaffe fabrics. 
Playing together.

Here is Lin's  block that she made for July.  I borrowed from her blog.  I can't wait until it arrives.  I just love the pencils.
Lin's July block
Below is the June block that I sent to Lin on the left and the one she made on the right.  Again I borrowed this from Lin's blog.
I think they look pretty awesome together.

Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Falling Maple

I put together a quick baby quilt based on this tutorial byKaye over at Miss Print.  I did not have quite enough of the green to do the same size.  Made a few adjustments but the overall size came out to be 40"x40".
I quilted it in a circles following this tutorial by Blooming Poppies.   Such great tutorials by both ladies.

I only took a few pictures as it was overcast and rainy this morning.  No pictures of the back :(.

This was really quick and fun to piece.  I think the recipients really loved it.  It was the colors they choose in their registry and has some flannel owls on the back.  The center material is frogs from the Briar Rose collection by Heather Ross.  I had purchased it a while back on sale.  The green is from V and Co (left over from a pillow project) and the purple was some sale fabric from a local shop.  Everything from my stash.